09 October 2011

Lever de Soleil

 I’m having a difficult time explaining where my day started yesterday, Saturday the 8th of October. I’d say it has been one of the most relaxing and exciting 24 hours of sleeplessness in my short life.
Experimental Guitar
I guess the first moment I felt alive that day was when I found an amazing running trail that traces along a tree covered calm river. It was serene, brisk and the leaves are starting to change colors and leave their bark counterparts.
DJ at La Pleine Lune
Then a whirlwind bike ride with my newfound friends and Saturday quickly turned to Saturnight (I’m sorry, I’ve been pun deprived). We started our marathon of fun with a free cheese, honey, fig, wine and bouillabaisse tasting market. This weekend was kind of the official ‘welcome back students/let’s celebrate fall in classy way’. That being said, there were free guitar concerts everywhere. We went to a bar ‘La Pleine Lune’ and watched a marching band and then proceeded inside for DJ dancing hipster glory. We danced until 3 am. We had three hours to kill until the sunrise (lever de soleil)experimental guitar concert at the mini Arc de Triomphe and Parc Peyrou. It was bloody cold so we took refuge in a student house stuffed fully with cigarette butts, funny posters and joyous dancing. We set out for the park à vélo against a cold wind to find the gates to the dome to be open (which they never are) and lit by a bright blue light. We all laid down on the cement and relaxed while the serious experimental guitarist set up and listened to my friend play the harmonica loud and proud. Then experimental man strummed long effervescent tones to welcome the sun rising behind the Arc de Triomphe. People were chatting, laughing and we played tag and danced to stay warm. 
Lever de Soleil
I don’t know how to explain the overall coolness of Montpellier without saying hipster. Because it’s not as snooty as hipster: it’s a way of being. There is this joy in music, in drink, in food and in meeting new people here that is so relaxed and natural it can’t be superficial. It’s beautiful, it’s exciting and calm at the same time. I’m learning to take everything easy, sit back while surrounded by friends and not to expect to be rushed. It’s quite the adjustment which contradicts the pace of school here, but it has been a welcomed balancing act and challenge. 
It might as well come from another planet
After sunrise, we grabbed some croissants and coffee and went back to rest up. However, it turns out I had forgotten my keys at my friend Sarah’s apartment. So with a borrowed iPod I walked back downtown I set out on foot through the streets. Sometimes the sun shines perfectly on the buildings and you can’t help but stare. And it wasn’t just the fatigue. It’s the ultimate realization that you’re meant to be where you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment