07 October 2011

La Grotte




Today I went to some caves. Just an hour on the bus outside of Montpellier lies the mysterious and guided tours of La Grotte des Demoiselles. Believed to house the souls of abandoned fairies, la grotte is filled with expertly lit rock formations, eery ancient smells and an extreme serenity that was enchanting (although that could have been my hunger). 


Simply enough, it was one of the best field trips I have ever been on. After my methodology class I met up with some of my friends to make the trek out there. We had a rendez-vous with the tour guide at 2:30. We got off the bus at the right stop. Headed up the correct tiny road that wound through the French countryside (which, yes, looks exactly like the movies). Then we trailblazed our way up the side of the mountain, had a double rainbow moment with the breath taking views and sprinted. My friend Erin and I were late but, because we were panting and very sad looking, they took us to meet up with the rest of the group. Then we were lead through the wet, cold and spooky cave. I can’t say that I see this everyday. I can say that it might be one of the most mesmerizing landscapes I have encountered. The pictures don’t do it justice.

Then we hit the sunlight again. We started walking along the road once again before we saw what we thought to be a path. It ended up in an old man’s backyard. And one of the most adorable old men I’ve seen. He was excited to show his house dating from the 13th century and where his great-great-great-great grandfather hid a priest during a war I wish I was educated about. After meeting him; hungry, tired and completely satisfied with my day we took the bus back. 
I came home to my friends making dinner and chatting in the kitchen. I can’t help but consistently feel like this is where I am meant to be. School has homework and sometimes French can be alien but all-in-all I can’t help but love it. Montpellier and I have been dating for five weeks now and I’m starting to believe it’s getting more serious. Maybe soon we’ll tell our friends about our relationship.





No comments:

Post a Comment