17 October 2011

Courir Toujours

 {[Went on an ice cream date on Thursday. He didn’t get ice cream, but a Cola zero. I am not responding to his text messages any longer. You don’t go out and let the lady eat ice cream by herself, boys.]}
This weekend Cassie came from Barcelona to 
A. Visit Montpellier and I
B. Run a marathon, NBD
She’s a champ. 
Once again we found ourselves playing tourist and ‘food crawling’. You know, when you eat at every restaurant of interest, all desserts (Turkish delights) are on limits, super spicy Indian food to your hearts delight, coffee and ice cream. 
The big day was Sunday, so Saturday was spent taking it easy and walking through the botanical gardens of Montpellier. Fall has fallen here. And I like it. We got our swag bags complete with a bottle of wine, shirt, poster, applesauce, etc. 
Sunday came and we rose early to do some French warmup aerobics and get nervous for the course. It went all around Montpellier. I’m pretty sure Cassie saw more of Montpellier than I ever will! We thought we could start together but me being on a relay team was ripped from her and reprimanded and forced to wait 20 minutes while Cassie began her 42 km adventure. Then I started my 6.5 km jaunt. It was cool and I wish I could’ve gone farther before having to pass on the baton to a Couchsurfing teammate. After I hung out with an awkward Parisian boy for a few hours I set out to watch Champ finish. 200 meters before the finish line I saw her turn the corner and I almost cried. We grabbed hands and I could tell she was tired but the crowd was egging her on. “Bravo fille!”. She did awesome and we were able to finish together in la Place de la Comèdie and greeted by flowers and French congratulations. A victory kebab was well deserved. Chicken pox to marathon running, I’m lucky to have such an awesome friend.






No comments:

Post a Comment