11 September 2011

Un Vélo et Marché aux Puces

Salsa

The days are going by quick here. There never seems to be a day that doesn't go by without a festival, shopping trip, dinner or walk.

Emma and Sarah vogue-ing
Class Trash: Mussels and Wine
Today (Sunday), I bought a bike at a flea market. It's a stolen bike. A shit bike. But it was only 30 euro. There was haggling and there were old men getting all up in my grill demanding more money/less money/ bike adjustments/ warning me that I am going to die on the bike. To say the least it was an event that itself was almost worth the 30 euro. This bike is going to get me to the beach. It's going to take me grocery shopping and it might even take me on a countryside ride to a local vineyard. Overall, a good investment.

Oh, The Places We Will Go
The market was pretty insane and totally hip. It's in the 'ghetto' of Montpellier and lined with sellers and their sketchy vans. All the clothes, pottery, bikes, food, headlights, stolen shit is splayed out on the street and you are more than welcome to haggle with the snaggle-toothed men and women. I felt that taking my camera out to show y'all would've just become another item for sale. Nonetheless, it was fun. Some friends and I were able to find a streetcar to try some authentic Moroccan food, get some cheap shoes and proudly wobble our new bikes around town.


Every once in a while, I must say the humidity and simple things are running me down. A cold has been meandering through the group and it ain't so pretty. Some TLC would do some good but in a foreign country where you can't figure out how the washing machines work it's difficult. I had to hand wash my towels and after two days they still aren't dry. I'm glad I'm here still, I'm excited for my courses, I'm excited for my trip to Barcelona that is in the works, I'm glad that my dorm looks a bit friendlier and that I can hit the hay in safety.

1 comment: