17 September 2011

Because when waiting you must make lemonade...

I think I might have fallen in love yesterday. And although marriage might be a bit premature, Montpellier and I are on the path to a serious relationship. A serious relationship of exploration, old and new, hidden gardens and good new friends, perfectly angled sunlight and shiny streets.

Americans Sarah, Emma and I took a little stroll Friday afternoon and as we hit a certain part of town, not too far from the silly campus area, a complete wave of awe crashed upon me. I am living in the south of France, surrounded by glossy brick rues and salty air. How did this happen to me? 

Grant it, paradise comes with flaws. Everything here runs on a menstrual cycle; meaning you are going to have to wait until someone has the energy to help you or 28 days. However, my only option is to wait patiently for my bank card, food stipend and phone. I'm starting to understand why the French linger. The lingering Frenchmen at the bar sipping white wine, leaning at the train station with their cigarette or making an espresso shot last for 30 minutes is a symptom of the pace of business affairs. No one here is in a rush to help, to file your paperwork or give you the money that is owed to you. Not adopting this sentiment would only lead to frustration thus I find myself sitting at a café obnoxiously long or feeling free to 'not take care of business'. My new business adventure is beach bumming.

On the 17th of September, the Mediterranean was warmer than ever before. A gang of us hung on the levee rocks, swam and played in the sea. I plan on coming back to the States with a jar of shells and sand in my shoes.

I have moments where I'm stressed and where I wish I could share everything that I'm experiencing with those I love. There are moments when I can't understand a lick of French and triumphs where I conducted an interesting conversation. The duality is a necessity and the balance I'm striving for doesn't seem out of reach.

I'm joining a frisbee team. My two sociology classes are challenging while my French courses greatly help my confidence in conducting interactions with 'the French". I'm learning how to do translation work. I've even been able to practice my Dutch. And on Monday I start an Italian course, because why not?!

No comments:

Post a Comment