27 November 2011

Grathiath

la Sagrada Familia para Gaudí
A charming apartment and park

 A lot of our adventures in the gorgeously temperate Barcelona were stumbled upon on our long walks through the almost confusing streets. By the middle of the first day, we might've been champs ... reading maps like the best of them.

We came across a pretty cathedral, as to the right




Here we have some of the Gaudí buildings, a strange architect that might just be a man after my own heart with his flamboyant glasswork and silly shapes. 

 No photo and travel trip to Barcelona is complete without some Spanish men arguing on the street.

Las Ramblas is the large street filled with tourist traps and men with weird bird calling whistles. It's lined with tempting shopping and bad food and leads to the sea. Walking it is a must, although I can't say it was the most enjoyable part of the trip. But hey! we did it.

I might've food my food heaven: Mercat La Boqueria. A tunnel of the freshest seafood (that lobster below is still alive), hanging meat, veggies and fruits. Artisanal chocolate, samples and chaos. I wish I could spent all day and all my money there. Instead I settled for breaded mussels and free Catalan treats.








Commence photos taking while walking. 




Emma, Sarah and I went to the Picasso museum. I was skeptical of spending my money on 'just another museum'. However seeing it made me have a different opinion on ol' Pablo. I can't help but think that in his talent he is just giving the middle finger and sly snicker to the art world.

Probably slightly like a genius. Who uses color and squares.





After some culture and roasted yams off the street, we met up with Cassie and her friends for a water fountain show. A tacky light show accompanied by a glorious fountain in front of one of the most spectacular buildings. If there's one thing Barcelona knows how to do is glitter in the most obnoxious and lovable way.
They are actually strangers 

We then eventually ended up at a small bar listening to free live music in a basement type setting. It couldn't have been planned or written any better.
Sunday morning was a calm walk through a residential neighborhood, classic dancing in the street, Christmas market and carrot cake and banana bread cupcakes. Oh, and an excruciatingly long bus ride.

Barcelona is a second city I could be falling in love with. Although more 'touristy' than Montpellier, it's nice to feel like you're in a big city with too many activities. It's that escape and now that finals are here; I'm glad it was the last hoorah before the studying commences.

No comments:

Post a Comment